Family Ministry at Zion
In Deuteronomy 6 we are told that the Word of God should be on our hearts, in our houses, and taught diligently to our children. The mission of our family ministry program is to Engage families to live the legacy of faith. “We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord.” Psalm 78:4
Presentation on the Fulltime Family Ministry Position (click to view)
“The Hunt for Easter” was a Zion Fellowship Event for all Ages. A Meaningful Scavenger Hunt to Teach the True Point of Easter Teams found 8 different locations related to the Easter Story. Bible verses were read with each location/item. View the PowerPoint of the pictures each team took along their journey. TheHuntforEaster (click to view)
Family Ministry Vision
Family ministry is:
• Encouraging faith formation through the family
• Promoting strong, Christ-centered families
• Providing opportunities & resources for service and learning
• Creating an atmosphere that supports and nurtures family relationships
• Ensuring that each church member is part of a faith family
Some of our goals include:
* Creating a Christ centered, Family-Friendly Church by providing resources, parenting groups, educational seminars, and inter-generational church activities.
* Dedication to strengthening the family unit & equipping parents to be spiritual leaders in their homes and in the community.
* Providing instruction and activities for children of all ages through Sunday School, Kings Kids, Bible Camps, Vacation Bible School, Mission & Servant Events, Fellowship opportunities and family nights.
* Creating a “church family” environment
* Welcoming new families and visitors
* Planting the seeds for the next generation to be active congregational members
“Family Ministry intentionally seeks to influence every aspect of a congregation’s life in ways that encourage the development and transformation of families so that all members of the community of faith have a family, strengthen families so they can be more effective pictures of and witnesses to the love of God, and develop faithfulness in families as they minister within and beyond their own boundaries.” –Diana Garland
Teaching families to embrace an authentic faith relationship with Jesus Christ, Zion would be able to offer new programs, such as parenting classes, marriage enrichment, family peacemaker training, stewardship education, and leadership workshops. Important faith milestones could be celebrated within the church. We would also use existing children’s and adult programs more intentionally to create opportunities for families to spend quality time together in God’s Word, while always working to build relationships within the church and create a heartfelt sense of “church family.” I see the church being a resource and cheerleader for families and people across the lifespan, rather than a once a week stop for worship, or a daycare drop off for children’s programs. A family ministry program would equip and encourage parents to be spiritual leaders in the home and community.
God has an amazing story to tell…and we are blessed to be a part of the most compelling, life-changing story on earth! We are given the privilege and responsibility of telling others, especially our children, about Jesus. Together we can embrace a new passion for ministry, faith and family. As adults live their faith, a legacy is passed down to the next generation, where we can proclaim “the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord.”
Director of Family Ministry
Zion Lutheran Church